To kick the month of May off, Great Plains CASA for Kids will be hosting a Golf Tournament, Saturday and Sunday, May 5 and 6, at the John Pitman Golf Course in Hereford, TX. The game is two-man low-ball and the entry fee per team is $200. Start time is at 8:00AM both days and lunch and beverages will be provided.
The following week, on Thursday, May 10 L’Allegra will be hosting a plant sale and cheeseburger lunch at Lone Star Home and Garden. All of the plant sale proceeds will be donated to Great Plains CASA for kids and the cheeseburger lunch is by donation only. The plant sale will last from 9:00AM – 4:00PM and the lunch will be from 11:00AM – 2:00PM.
For more information about our events throughout the month visit our Events page.
As we wrap up National Child Abuse Prevention Month in April, we would like to leave you with some alarming statistics that we hope will motivate you to speak out and report child abuse or even become a CASA volunteer!
In 2017 in Texas:
- 63,657 confirmed victims of child abuse
- 172 children died from abuse or neglect
- 19,782 children were removed from their home due to abuse or neglect
- 60% of child abuse victims were 6 years old or younger
- 50,293 children were in the child protection system
- More than 20,000 children did not have a CASA volunteer to speak up for their best interest.
- 14 CASA volunteers advocated for 54 children in the child protection system in the 5 counties that we serve (Oldham, Deaf Smith, Parmer, Castro, Bailey)
- Every 8 minutes a child in Texas is a victim of abuse or neglect
- In 2017, there were 437 confirmed victims of child abuse in the 5 counties that we serve (Oldham, Deaf Smith, Parmer, Castro, and Bailey)
Great Plains CASA for Kids